Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nervousness

My next appointment with my regular doctor is tomorrow. I'm not usually nervous about my appointments, but this one I am.

At my last appointment, I asked him for a referral to a rheumatologist because my fibro is not even close to under control. My fatigue is ridiculous, not much of anything helps me sleep, and I'm constantly in pain. I have to do something to try and feel better, as much as I can. He basically flat-out refused and just told me I needed to have weight loss surgery, and that would cure about 90% of my fibro issues. This is complete bullshit! There are people who are very skinny that still have fibro, and besides, I've been losing weight slowly on my own anyways, and that's the healthier way to do it. This has frustrated me to no end.

It made me think that I should find a new doctor, which I have been trying to do. But, different factors, mostly my insurance, is making it incredibly difficult. Only certain doctors are covered, plus I'd have to switch to the new doctor right away, before I even got to talk to them. That makes me completely uncomfortable. What if a new doctor would be just as bad or worse? And all my referrals would be missed up, my scripts would be messed up, etc. So basically my insurance is just making a difficult situation even more difficult.

So tomorrow is my appointment with him. I am going to tell him that I am not doing the weight loss surgery. I've heard enough about it to scare me. And apparently you can't take your meds for a while after? No way. I refuse. I'd never function then. I'd have migraines 24/7, my trigeminal neuralgia would flare constantly, my anxiety level would be insane, I'd have so much pain, and would never sleep. No, I absolutely refuse. I don't know what he'll say or do after I tell him this. I want to ask again for the referral, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't know to convince him. *sigh*

5 comments:

  1. Finding a good doctor is one of the biggest challenges we face. I would see through your support group who people use and hopefully you will find a good doctor that way. I agree with you, if you're not comfortable with the weight loss surgery then dont do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you HAVE to have a referral to see a rhem? Is your DR just a primary care? I would tell him you want to see pain management. They have been a large help in my Fibro. I agree, size has nothing to do with your Fibro symptoms. They are good/bad regardless. It's a NERVE thing. I don't think you have to SWITCH before you can see the new DR. You should be able to do a 2nd opinion kind of thing before you switch switch. I would ask the insurance about that. Are you under an HMO? My husband's ins is pretty strict, but I've always managed to do 2nd opinion appointments and then decide if I want to switch or stay. Regardless I have a specialized condition in which only 1 DR in my area treats and that DR is an @ss so I know how it is to have to deal with a DR that is miserable. Hope you get some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =( You know what feels right for you. Until you can switch doctors, I would definitely ask again for a referral to a rheumatologist. Maybe mention that most people with fibromyalgia work with a rhematoligst, in case he doesn't realize this. I'm assuming your insurance won't let you refer yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby talked about the surgery for a while,i wont consider it.First of all i dont like surgery thats not really needed and there are plenty of thin fibro sufferers out there !!
    My dr understands that its due to low mobility due to pain and also side effect of meds .
    Ive also read a lot of research which is basicly saying neurologists should treat fibromyalgia as its a brain chemistry thing and i think they are also more understanding of our condition.I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist and once he started me on meds basicly he said thats all he could do for me ,luckily i had a great family dr at that point.I hope you get help soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your doctor needs smacked! Have you ever looked into taking magnesium? Google it and fibro! you will be suprised!!

    ReplyDelete