Monday, May 2, 2011

The News of May 1, 2011 - My Thoughts



Last night, I was bored and on twitter. I started seeing all these tweets about how President Obama was going to make a speech about a national security development at 1030pm. My first thought was, "what can be so important that he announces it late on a Sunday night?" Then my thoughts turned to fear. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I thought it couldn't be good, and must be some kind of emergency or something. I turned on CNN and started watching the news. The reporters were sounding like it was something huge, and that we should be prepared for whatever he has to say. My fear kicked in even more. After waiting over an hour, President Obama finally made his speech at 1130pm. He announced that Osama Bin Laden was dead, and that the US had completed a high risk mission in order to do this. I was still on twitter, and the amount of tweets I saw about this was astounding. Many people rejoiced, many people made jokes, and many people seemed outraged. I continued watching the news, and saw how people had gathered at the White House to celebrate and also at Ground Zero. People were chanting "USA! USA!" and were singing the national anthem. The amount of patriotism at the time was intense. I honestly kinda wished I was in either place to take part in this. I can only imagine how it must have felt to be in the middle of it. Several people spoke about how it finally brought some closure to the horrific event of 9/11.

I wish I could say that this is the end. But it's not. We still have to worry about Al Qadea planning a retaliation. I don't believe that they will take this sitting down. And honestly, that scares me to death. Obama said in his speech that they are preparing for it just in case, but honestly, how much can you prepare without knowing where they are going to strike?

Even if Al Qadea is too weak to plan a retaliation now, there is still terrorism. This is not going to end it. I wish it did, but it doesn't. It's also not the end of the war. I don't foresee them bringing our troops home because of this. The United States is always sticking their nose where it doesn't belong and always getting into wars.

This is big news for America, and don't get me wrong, I feel relieved that he is gone. But it just isn't the end, no matter how much we all want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment